Sydney Gun Club was originally formed in the early 30s.The shooting grounds were at Pagewood the rear of Pagewood Film Studios and Eastlakes Golf Course.On the gun club site General Motors Holden built their Sydney factory.
The club used to hold shoots regularly for any charity or other purpose such as the one held for the 150th Anniversary Sesqui Centenary shoot held in 1938 in which Mal Fuller was beaten by his older brother John for the junior trophy.In the handicap event seven shooters tied and split up the first seven prizes receiving 5 pounds 3 shillings and fourpence each.A.Waters was successful in the shoot off for the trophy.
In the 150th Anniversary Championship the first place Trophy,Championship Plaque and 20 pounds were won by J.W.Raliegh (Queensland) 49 kills from a possible 60.Second place was W.Rainbird (Tasmania) and J.Bryant (Victoria) who received 7 pounds 10 shillings 43 kills each.Third was E.A.Holmes who received 3 pounds for 42 kills.A kill was when the target was broken.There were over 45 competitors in each of the 3 events on the day.
Prior to 1948 clay target shoots were called skeet shoots,trap shoots or clay bird shoots.
Before 1940 other clubs shooting clay birds were The Metropolitan Gun Club which shot live and clay birds in the centre of the Ascot Racecourse which is now the northeast corner of Mascot Airport.
New South Wales Gun Club or Pigeon Club was at Lauriston Park in Lords Road Mascot which is now near the Domestic Terminal.The club was forced out of this property and built a new two storey brick building at Kyeemagh opposite the Kogarah Golf Club and was opened on the 22ndAugust 1941.Soon after the opening this building was commandeered by the army for the 19AA Battery Headquarters by a March in March Out Certificate received 15/5/42.The club was still able to continue shooting using a timber shed as the office,later this shed was relocated to Terry Hills,it was burnt down by a bushfire.After the war the building was returned back to the club where they kept shooting until 1949.In this year the club was told to move out because the land was required for the expansion of Mascot Airport and also Cooks River was going to be diverted across their grounds,the club was well compensated for their property.This old club building was pulled down in 1992 to make way for the extensions to the southern section of the overseas terminal.
To read our clubs in-depth history please click below.